Electrical Wiring Caused a Fire on the Hogback

The Hogback in Badger

Electrical wiring can be a big danger in our mountain communities.  What seems innocuous can start a wildfire.  The Hogback had a fire on July 21st that may have been started with faulty wiring connected with a suspected outdoor pot grow.  This points up the danger of pilfering power from legitimate property owners to power illegal crops.  Not only do the property owners pay for power that they aren't using,  they might end up being burned out their homes.  

This property owner was wise! Saving property in wildfire prone areas is not luck, it is putting in the time to brush and clear around the property that could be at risk, then clearing another hundred feet.  This fire burned 58 acres and destroyed two structures.  This property survived though surrounded by flames because the owner did a fantastic job of clearing and brushing.  We congratulate them on a job well done.  Our hope is that everyone in the mountains and foothills follows this example.

Oak to Timberline Fire Safe Council

5

oaktotimberline.org                               PO Box 762, Squaw Valley, CA 93675

Funding provided by a grant from the Cooperative Fire Program of the U.S. Forest Service, Department of Agriculture, Pacific Southwest Region, through the California Fire Safe Council. 

 

This institution is an equal opportunity provider. 

 

The views and conclusions contained in this document are those of the authors and should not be interpreted as representing the opinions or policies of the California Fire Safe Council, U.S. Forest Service or the U.S. Government. Mention of trade names or commercial products does not constitute their endorsement by the California Fire Safe Council or the U.S. Government.